I made some crazy dark chocolate peppermint cookies with milk chocolate chunks yesterday, and left a few without chunks for the purpose of ICE CREAM SANDWICHING. Wow, I went from Summer to Winter on this here blog – sorry for the lack of ice creamy posts! I guess I’ve been darn busy with Bake O’Clock, among other things!
But wait, here’s a recipe for you! Dark chocolate peppermint cookies with pale green peppermint ice cream, all just a real breeze and a half to make, if you have a teensy bit of time and inclination. The cookies are rich, fudgey and minty. The ice cream is cool-in-your-mouth minty and creamy. Together, well, you’ll want to eat with a tall glass of frosty milk or peppermint (!) tea! A beautiful holiday treat and your guests will be super surprised if you pulled these fan-favourites out of the freezer after a holiday dinner party.
Go here for the cookie recipe: CHOCOMINT COOKIES! but omit the milk chocolate addition, because the milk chocolate chunk won’t freeze well. The cookie recipe will yield 2 dozen cookies, enough for 1 dozen ice cream sandwiches (Yay Math!).
Peppermint Ice Cream
You will need
- 1 cup of 10% milk
- 2 cups of heavy cream (33% milk fat)
- 1 300 ml can of sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk to combine the 2 types of milks with 1 can of sweetened condensed milk (300 ml)
- Whisk in 3 teaspoons or pure peppermint extract and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Add a teensy touch of green food colouring if so desired for minty cute greeny colour.
- Power-chill mixture in the freezer for 30 minutes until mixture is ice cold but not frozen.
- Pour into ice cream maker and mix according to ice cream maker instructions, I churned mine for about 25 minutes or so until thick and creamy.
- Transfer finished ice cream to an airtight container and chill in freezer until harder in consistency.
- Scoop some ice cream onto one chocolate cookie, and sandwich with another. Squish down a bit but not too much.
- Wrap each individual ice cream sandwich in saran wrap, then place in an airtight container in the freezer to chill for at least an hour to set.
- Bring out your ice cream sandwiches and party down while you chomp into delicious pepperminty madness!!!
Happy Holidays, everyone!
Leftover Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream!
by tag - not 0, greater than 1
Milk Chocolate Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches Recipe
Friendship Cookies: Sweet + Salty Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe