MINI CAKES ARE CUTE. People freak out over teensy things – like TINY DONUTS! (The only thing that would make that video BETTER is if a teeny tiny mouse on hind legs took a nibble out of it!) While these coconut mini cakes with cream cheese frosting would probably kill a small mouse (death by gluttony, unstoppable goldfish appetite style) they are a perfect size for us humans! Plus they might just make people squeal with CUTE-AND-MINI-OBSESSED delight.
So much fun for a birthday party or potluck – fluffy coconut cake topped with vanilla cream cheese frosting, sprinkles and hot pink edible carnation petals. You can also adorn with large curls of unsweetened coconut!
Coconut Mini Cakes With Creamcheese Frosting
8 mini cakes
For The Cake
- ½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups cake flour
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup of unsweetened shredded white coconut
- 1 cup of coconut milk (not low-fat)
For The Frosting
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup cream cheese at room temperature
- 1½ cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- dash of pink gel food colouring
Make The Cake
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour (or spritz with vegetable oil) a mini loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in the shredded coconut and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar on big speed until light and fluffy, about two minutes.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs and pure vanilla extract to combine.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry mixture in three batches, alternating with the coconut milk and ending with the dry mixture until combined, about 45 seconds. Do not over mix!
- Evenly distribute cake batter into the mini loaf pan cavities, filling about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, checking after 15, until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cakes comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing onto wire racks.
- Once cooled, use a serrated bread knife to level the domed cake tops; flip the cakes over (cut side down) and lay them flat on wire racks.
Make The Frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese on high speed until light and fluffy, about two minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl; with the mixer on low speed, add the icing sugar one half cup at a time and add the pure vanilla extract.
- Once the icing sugar is incorporated, (you can also add a drop of pink gel colour at this point!) beat the frosting on high speed until fluffy.
- Fit a piping bag with an open circle tip. Fill the piping bag with the frosting and pipe “blobettes” along the tops of the mini cakes.
- Adorn with sprinkles, edible flowers and/or coconut curls!
Cakes will keep for up to 3 days in a sealed airtight container in the fridge. Remove from fridge before serving and let the frosting come back to room temperature before eating.
More for coconut lovers (like meeeeee!) :
My coconut haupia cake recipe… gulp!
These tangy delicious blackberry coconut milk yogurt popsicles!
Coconut donuts with coconut milk glazeeeee
Haupia chocolate cream pie recipe…!
A vegan chocolate ganache pie using coconut milk!
Happy baking and coconutty-eating, my friends! xo Lyndsay
Artful Cakeful Cupcakes: Cake Flags
by tag - not 0, greater than 1
Animal Cakes Mania!
Summer Ice Pop Recipes!