I finally found a sweet recipe for baked donuts that remind me of non baked donuts! The last few recipes I’ve tried were more on the cakey side – ie, they taste kind of like cake batter baked into a donut shape – but these guys really had that dense nutmeg heavier vibe going on – then, dripping with a thick layer of coffee icing glaze, well they’re frigging delicious.
I wanted to mix it up with glaze flavours and looked through my extract collection – this Nielsen Massey coffee extract stared me in the face. The taste of the glaze reminded me of the wonderful lazy daisy vanilla cake my grandma would make for me, dripping in glaze made from instant coffee and icing sugar. I honestly was scraping dried glaze off the plate and eating it. Oh, and eating it by the spoonful. I think I like coffee flavoured things, maybe? Haha!
Coffee Icing Glazed Vanilla Nutmeg Cake Donuts
Yields 1 dozen donuts
Ingredients for the donuts
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- ⅓ cup golden brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ⅔ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
Ingredients for the Glaze
- 1 cup of icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon coffee extract
- 5 teaspoons whole milk
- Sprinkles (optional)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Oil your donut baking pans.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, oil and sugars until smooth and creamy.
- Add the eggs, mixing to combine.
- Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour into the wet mixture, alternating with the milk until combined. Do not overmix.
- Fill your donut pans 3/4 full with the donut batter.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes, or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Do not overbake!
- Remove donuts from pans and let cool on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze: whisk together icing sugar, coffee extract and milk until smooth.
- Once donuts are cool, dunk the donuts into the glaze. Add sprinkles if so desired!
I seriously donut lie when I say this recipe is a goodie.
What’s your favourite baked donut recipe? Would love to know!
Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour.
Iced Matcha Latte With Coffee Jelly
by tag - not 0, greater than 1
Gingerbread Miffy Cookies + “Donut” Cookies With Lemon Icing
A Little Pep In Your Step: Easy Peppermint Chocolate Ice Cream