Addictive much? These crisp, sweet meringues crush into sugary cotton candy air on the tongue. I couldn’t get enough of popping them into my mouth! Ahhhhh I was so relieved to finally learn how to make meringue kisses. Honest to Gad, this was my fifth attempt. Each time I sucked worse than the last – instead of dense, thick clouds of meringue, mine would swoosh and bubble like tepid soup. Instead of piping perfect blobettes, mine would slump down like a teensy snowman in the sun. ARGH!
So wuh happened? What happened was this: I ended up making swiss meringue buttercream for this raspberry brownie cake and a little Chinese lightbulb went off in my head. Right before you add the butter, the meringue looks just as you would hope a meringue kiss would look: perfectly pipe-able, durable, thick, sticky and glossy. So I rolled with it.
It’s not the conventional or popular method to make meringue kisses but it worked for me so well! Anyone else had some meringue fails out there!?
Meringue kisses just add such a power blast of FUN. I used them in my recent peanut butter chocolate cake recipe birthday post as whimsical, brightly coloured cake toppers. You can serve them in cute vintage dishes at a party or wrap them up as wedding favours! Crushed, they add beautiful texture to an ice cream sundae.
Note: you will need three piping bags with piping tips. I used a plain open circle tip for the hot pink blobette look (classic “kiss” look), a small multi-pronged open star tip for the blue kisses and a jumbo open star tip for the pale pink. Another hot tip: if you hate separating eggs or are fearful of getting yolk in your egg white, you can try using purchased egg whites at the grocery store, though usually you tend to have more luck getting a fluffier more voluminous meringue with freshly separated eggs, I have used the store bought canisters with mostly success! So here you go: my how to make meringue kisses recipe!
100 meringue kisses
For The Meringues
- 4 large egg whites
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
Make The Meringue
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees F. Line three baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Pour the egg whites and sugar into a heatproof bowl. Place it on top of a double boiler over a pot of simmering water. Whisk continually until the mixture reaches 150 degrees Farenheit or the sugar crystals have dissolved.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer beat the mixture on medium speed until soft peaks form. Raise it up to high speed until stiff, glossy and durable – about 3 minutes.
- Divide meringue into three separate bowls.
- Gently fold in a small amount of gel food colouring until you get the desired results!
- Fill piping bags with the coloured meringue and pipe kisses on parchment paper covered baking sheets.
- Bake for 1 hour in the oven; turn off oven and let them dry out for another hour. If you find they are still seeming sticky, leave them in the oven with the oven turned off for 2-3 hours more (but be careful they don’t end up browning).
Tip: Do not open the oven while the meringues are baking. Any variation in temperature can make the meringues crack. Store meringues in an airtight container for one week.
TROUBLESHOOTING: are your meringues cracking? Try using an oven thermometer to ensure you are at a low and slow baking temperature. Make sure you beat the mixture on medium to build up some body, then crank it to high speed to fluff up to stiff peaks. Do not open the oven door at any time while the meringues are baking – a cold whisp or air or a change in temperature can cause them to crack.
Get meringue-y elsewhere:
Those gorgeous Meringue Girls doing their thing!
I could live in these photos of this rosewater raspberry and white chocolate meringue cake!
Just let me face plant into a plate of these donut macarons by The House That Lars Built! CUTENESS OVERLOAD!
Ooooh orange blossom meringues with dark chocolate swirl – gimme gimme meringue after midnight!!
Happy meringue-making, everyone! xo Lyndsay
Swiss Meringue Buttercream: Friend or Foe?
by tag - not 0, greater than 1
Buttercream Piped Mushroom Cookie Cake Toppers!
Chocomint Cookie Peppermint Ice Cream Sandwiches