Everyone loves a kawaii toadstool mushroom! Now you can make an adorable easy sugar cookie mushroom cookie or two, and plunk them into the cutest woodland party-time cake. I’ve partnered with Becel to showcase their new Becel Sticks! Pre-measured, casual times, no need to bring to room temperature – one more reason to be “zen cupcake” this holiday season. I’ve been enjoying the meditative nature of piping buttercream on sugar cookies these days and aiyeee these shroomies just turned out so cute!
Buttercream Piped Mushroom Sugar Cookies
1 dozen cookies
For The Cookies
- 1/2 cup Becel Sticks (1 stick)
- 1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
For The Buttercream
- 1 cup Becel sticks (2 sticks)
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) red gel food colouring
For The Decorations
- White candy pearls
- Piping bag fitted with a multi-opening grass tip
- Piping bag fitted with a small open star tip
Make The Cookies
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the Becel and sugar on high until light and fluffy, about two minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs and the vanilla extract, mixing until combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the flour until a dough forms; do not overmix.
- Turn the dough onto a large piece of plastic wrap; form into a flat disc, then refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove the dough from the fridge. On a flour-dusted work surface, roll the dough out to 1/2 inch thickness. Punch out mushroom shapes using a large mushroom cutter, or use large and small mushroom cutters for cute variance!
- Carefully lift the cut shapes and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Chill in freezer for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 350 degrees °F.
- Bake the cookies for 9-11 minutes, turning pans halfway to ensure even baking, until cookies are lightly browned. Let cool completely on wire racks before frosting!
Make The Buttercream
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the Becel, icing sugar and pure vanilla extract on high speed until light and fluffy and doubled in volume, about two minutes.
- Divide buttercream evenly into two medium bowls. Tint one bowl with the red gel food colouring, mixing until combined.
Decorate The Cookies
- Set the completely cooled sugar cookies on a clean work surface.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a multi-opening grass tip with the red buttercream.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a small open-star tip with the white buttercream.
- Pipe the top of the cookie mushroom cap with the red buttercream in short spurts.
- Pipe the bottom stem of the cookie mushroom with white buttercream drop stars.
- On the piped mushroom cap, carefully add the white candy pearls in an even and eye-pleasing pattern.
- To decorate a cake with these cookies, press the cookie gently into a buttercream-topped cake, anchoring each cookie using a hidden wooden BBQ skewer cut to size to help hold up the cookie.
This post was sponsored by Becel. Cool times fact: Becel Sticks can replace butter 1:1 in so many of your fave baking recipes. Thank you for supporting the brands that keep Coco Cake Land chugging along! Happy baking! xo Lyndsay
by tag - not 0, greater than 1
Happy 10th Birthday Collage Collage!
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cookies with Milk Chocolate Middles!