A little health blast for ya…
Yep. You really did read that right. Blender. This is a variation of a fast and funny recipe from the wonderful Canadian cookbook icons The Best Of Bridge. In our family, we grew up on Best Of Bridge recipes…we are children of the 1980s… my mom’s collection of their cookbooks are tattered and splattered, and no Christmas morning would be the same without the “Christmas Morning Wife Saver” casserole… (a questionable name in this modern feminist age but just right for the 1980s!)
These muffins are tart and tangy and with a slight bite to them from the use of the entire orange, peel and all… and they are a a nice healthy snack, with lots of fruit and fibre! They come together exceptionally fast, and I must admit there is a fun factor to making them, as you feel like a kid again throwing a bunch of stuff into a blender like you’re making a super gross dill pickle juice, watermelon, milk, paprika and beef jerky smoothie for your sister to chug as a dare!
Whole Orange & Raspberry Blender Muffins
16 small muffins
- 1 large orange
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups spelt flour
- ¾ cup golden brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. You will need two muffin pans as this recipe yields about 16 small muffins. Muffin liners are optional – if you don’t use them, I would spray pans with vegetable oil to avoid sticking!
- Cut the orange into 8 pieces.
- Place the orange pieces in the blender along with the juice, egg and oil. Blend until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the spelt flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt.
- Add the dry mixture into the orangey wet mixture and blend until combined.
- Fold in raspberries with a spatula or large spoon.
- Pour mixture into muffin pans right out of the blender, or use an ice cream scoop to dole out even portions of batter into muffin pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, depending on the heat of your oven, turning pans halfway.
Don’t you feel healthy now? Enjoy!
Originally published on Poppytalk.
Lomelino’s Cakes: Raspberry Brownie Cake Recipe
by tag - not 0, greater than 1
Vanilla Raspberry Lilikoi Cake
Coconuts For Hawaii! Coconut Haupia Cake