Note to self: never layer a f*cking dessert again. Do it for food photos, but then when you want to eat it yourself – JAM IT ALL TOGETHER IN A NORMAL PERSON BOWL. You’ll still get all the elements of this beautifully easy summer blackberry lemon parfait. Cool, creamy, not-too-sweet whipped mascarpone, the tang of lemon and blackberry and the crispy toasted texture of the salted oat cookie crumble.
I used store-bought lemon curd because I am completely okay with not making every element from scratch. But if you want to make the lemon curd, I’ve made Martha Stewart’s lemon curd recipe several times with excellent results. I also added a smidgen of blackberry jam on the top of the parfait too for an extra colour blast!
Blackberry Lemon Parfait with Oat Cookie Crumble + Whipped Mascarpone
For the oat cookie crumble
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar, or light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour, or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small cubes, at room temperature
For the whipped mascarpone
- 8 ounces of mascarpone, room temperature
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- zest of one small lemon
- 1 cup heavy cream, 33% milk fat, cold
Make the oat cookie crumble
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the sugar, oats, flour and salt.
- Add the unsalted butter, using your fingers to combine it all together until incorporated enough that it forms clumps.
- Using your fingers, place the oat mixture clumps onto the parchment paper, spreading out evenly.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until toasty and browned. Let cool completely before using.
Make the whipped mascarpone
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the beater attachment, whip the mascarpone, icing sugar and lemon zest on high to give it some volume.
- Turn off the mixer; swap out to the whisk attachment.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl; add the cold whipping cream and beat on low until incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- Beat on medium-high until soft peaks form.
Assemble the parfait
- Using a spoon, dollop a generous amount of whipped mascarpone into the bottom of your bowl or glass.
- Add a layer of lemon curd.
- Add another layer of mascarpone.
- Add a generous crumbly amount of cooled oat cookie crumble, broken into small pieces.
- Add another dollop of mascarpone.
- Add a spoonful of blackberry jam and top with fresh blackberries!