I’m such a nutbar for tea flavoured treats. Green tea, earl grey, milky tea (is milky tea flavour an Asian invention??) … love em all. These baked matcha green tea donuts are made with coconut sugar and sprinkled with shredded white coconut for a sprinkly cute look! The colour of the d-nuts are somewhat intense – I almost wanted to smear it on my t-zone like a face mask and see if it would shrink my pores. But one bite into the drippy glazeyness changed my tune to “get in my belly, you rascals!” Yeah. My custom license plate should totally (brutally) read MUFFNTOP4EVA.
Matcha Green Tea Donuts with Shredded Coconut
For the donuts
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 to 1¼ teaspoons ground nutmeg, to taste
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon matcha green tea powder
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 2⅔ cups flour
- 1 cup milk
For the glaze
- 1½ cups icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon matcha powder
- 3 tablespoons boiling water – whisk
- 1 teaspoon whole milk
- ¼ cup shredded white coconut
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Oil your donut baking pans.
- Boil water in a kettle. When water has boiled, in a liquid measuring cup, whisk 1 tablespoon of matcha green tea powder with 3 tablespoons of boiling water until a creamy paste forms. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, oil and sugars until smooth and creamy.
- Add the eggs, mixing to combine.
- Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt and vanilla extract.
- Add the milk to the green tea paste in liquid measuring cup; whisk to combine.
- Add the flour into the butter, oil and sugar mixture, alternating with the green tea milk until combined. Do not overmix.
- Fill your donut pans ¾ full with the donut batter. I used a piping bag for easy donut pan filling!
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes, or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Do not overbake!
- Remove donuts from pans and let cool on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze: combine 1 tablespoon matcha green tea powder with 3 tablespoons of boiling water, whisking to combine. Add icing sugar and milk, whisking until a creamy green glaze forms. Add more icing sugar if required to thicken or add more milk a ½ teaspoon at a time to thin.
- Once donuts are cool, dunk the donuts into the glaze. While glaze is still wet, sprinkle with shredded coconut.
Leave a Reply