Milk Tea Donuts Recipe
Before we get to the milk tea donuts recipe, allow me to share this life tidbit. Little known and possibly embarrassing fact: when I was 18, I worked for one summer at a muffin stand in the mall. Marvelous Muffins, in fact. To this day my sisters still make fun of me for it. Mmmmmuffin Sung, I believe I was called for a while? Pretty pretty good. I didn’t do any of the baking; there was a kitchen facility complete with a crotchety chain-smoking baker hidden in the mall and warm muffins with names like Lemon Crantastic would be rolled over to the glittering blue and orange kiosk. I pushed a button to make coffee and served the gargantuan, probably 1,000 calorie muffins to people who probably thought they were eating something healthy. Maybe I wore a visor? Yes. Let’s visualize the visor.
I’ve had so many random jobs – another thing I get made fun of for in my family. Like the time I worked at Playland at the snowcone stand for one hot and sweaty summer weekend (I found the job on Craigslist!) My “manager” was a bratty, extra short, gum-snapping 18 year old. Across the fairway was a temporary tattoo stand where I did a product trade with my new friend, a 15 year old girl. I gave her advice to NOT go to the hotel room with a guy she just met from the touring dance squad from Seattle. That day I sold $2,000 worth of snowcones – and got a $50 cash bonus! Sweet! Did I mention I was 31 at the time? Yes. I am that cool.
I’m kind of surprised I never worked at a donut shop. I suppose it’s not too late. There’s a 24 hour donut/hot torta sub shop that I bet I could fandangle a night shift at. Actually, I think I’ll just pretend to work there in my mind. For one minute. Okay, now – milk tea donuts! Goodness gracious I’m a fan of milk tea flavour. Dunk my face into a bucket of milk tea with boba pearls and I’ll find the largest straw in the world and chew for days. I was so excited when I found this glaringly colourful package of instant milk tea powder at my local Asian supermarket (I live in Vancouver! Asians everywhere, including me!) It’s called Lipton Milk Tea Gold – if you don’t live close to an Asian market, you can find it online on Ebay and that large bookish retailer that starts with an A.
Milk tea really suits its name – creamy milk with the earthy flavour of black tea leaves and the sweetness of sugar. It makes for a scrumptious donut!
Milk Tea Donuts
2 dozen regular donuts
For The Donuts
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- ⅓ cup golden brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ⅔ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 packets of instant milk tea (16.5 grams each)
For The Glaze
- 2 cups of icing sugar
- 10 teaspoons milk
- 4 packets of instant milk tea (16.5 grams each)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Oil your donut baking pans.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, oil and sugars until smooth and creamy.
- Add the eggs, mixing to combine.
- Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt and vanilla extract.
- Set a small saucepan on the stovetop; heat the milk until just hot.
- Pour milk into a liquid measuring cup and dissolve two packets of milk tea powder into the milk. Let cool slightly.
- Add the flour into the wet mixture, alternating with the milk tea mixture until combined. Do not overmix.
- Fill your donut pans 3/4 full with the donut batter. I always use a piping bag for ease!
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes, or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Do not overbake!
- Remove donuts from pans and let cool on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze: whisk together icing sugar, milk and milk tea powder until smooth. Add more milk if it’s too thick, or add icing sugar, a little at a time, until you reach desired consistency.
- Once donuts are cool, dunk the donuts into the glaze!
Yes to random jobs! I’ve really had so many, but they’ve all led up to who I am today, right? Haha! Now I’m happy to freelance write, make cakes, be a mama and blog the night away, eyes bleary from editing cake photos.
Speaking of blogging: I’m not the only one who is CRAZY ‘BOUT DONUTS this week! And I bet these great people have had their fair share of random jobs!
Check out fellow blog friends and their donut/doughnut madness – yeah, it’s (Inter)National Donut Day on Friday June 6!
BLIND YOURSELF WITH DONUTS, GUYS!
The cutest mix and match (and beautifully styled) donuts from Melissa over at The Faux Martha
Such a fan of Billy’s beautiful graphics and hee-larious writing on Wit + Vinegar
Always the prettiest and yummiest goodness over at A Cozy Kitchen!
And if you ever wanted to see me log roll on top of a donut, here’s your chance.
Anyone else going to get their donut runnin’? Head out on the doughway?? Leave me a link to your donuts, I want to see! Happy donut (and life, and weird job) times, everyone!
Leave a Reply