Little pizza slices of toasted marshmallow spelt brownies heaven. Inspired by my sugary pal Sarah‘s recipe for “garbage brownies” from her very fun cookbook The Sugar Hit! Garbage = throw in whatever you’ve got. I had spelt flour, coconut sugar and EGG WHITES. I garbage-d it up in a pretty healthy way I guess??
They fulfilled my chocolate yearning. Rich and not too sweet brownie slices with the crispy toasted marshmallow. And maybe a little pretend-healthy with spelt flour, coconut sugar and egg whites.
Marshmallow Toasted Spelt Brownies
For the brownies
- 150 grams unsalted butter
- 285 grams coconut sugar
- 90 grams unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- 3 egg whites
- 60 grams spelt flour
- 12 large marshmallows
Make the brownies
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease and line an 8 inch round baking pan with parchment paper. Get out your scale to measure the ingredients!
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Take the pan off the heat and add the sugar and cocoa, stirring until there are no lumps.
- Add vanilla, salt and egg whites and stir again until everything is combined.
- Finally add the spelt flour, stir until combined then continue beating for about 30 seconds until the mixture comes together in a smooth, shiny batter.
- Pour into the baking pan.
- Slice large marshmallows in halves and gently place into the batter in whichever pattern you like.
- Bake for 25 minutes in the middle rack of your oven.
- Carefully under watchful eye, set the oven to broil, move the pan to the top rack and allow the marshmallows to get extra toasty, about 30 seconds, being careful not to burn.
- Cool in the pan, then slice into pie wedges.