My inspiration for this cake was a 1980s satin pillow with ruffle trim – did I succeed?? Haha… well I think it looks pretty 80’s and it turned out pretty cute and ruffly! File this wild cake under: Why Not.
1980s Satin Pillow Ruffle Heart Cake
You Will Need:
A heart shaped cake pan
Your favourite recipe for a 2 layer cake
4 cups of vanilla buttercream or frosting
Gel food colouring in fuchsia and purple
Three piping bags fitted with an open star tip – or you can re-use the same one!
An offset spatula
Baking Tip: Grease and flour your heart shaped cake pan before pouring your batter in. I also cut a piece of parchment paper to size which helps immensely with cake release.
1. Bake your cake according to recipe instructions. Let cool completely.
2. Run an offset spatula around the edges of the cake pan to loosen the cake. Remove the cake from cake pan and place on a large cake plate or cake board.
3. Mix your buttercream colours – divide your buttercream in thirds, keeping one cream coloured and making one third pink and one third purple.
4. Frost the entire exterior of the cake with pink buttercream.
5. Fill each piping bag with a different colour.
6. Pipe the sides of the heart cake with cream coloured buttercream.
7. Pipe the top of the cake with pink buttercream, doing three rows of drop stars.
8. Fill the rest of the cake with the purple buttercream to make a purple heart center!
Cut a slice for your sweetie and enjoy! May as well throw on some Phil Collins No Jacket Required while you’re at it.
See ya soon, cake pals!