He’s back again – the very hungry caterpillar cake, cupcakes style! This time in dark chocolate with vanilla buttercream. Oh he’s a cutie. Plus – this time, he’s a vegan very hungry caterpillar cake!
How to make a vegan very hungry caterpillar cake
What I love about baking nowadays, is that you can take any cake design or flavours and convert it to a vegan cake version! All you need is an amazing vegan buttercream recipe and your favourite cake recipe, too!
- Cut out a large piece of thick, sturdy cardboard and cover it with grease-proof wrapping paper.
- Bake your cupcakes, and a two-layer 7×2-inch round cake. Let the cakes cool completely before frosting.
- Make a double batch of your favourite vegan buttercream. Reserve 2 cups of buttercream for frosting the cake.
- Divide the remaining buttercream into two bowls; using gel colouring, tint one bowl leaf green, and the other with a mixture of leaf green and yellow.
- Using a 7-inch round cake board, frost and fill the 7×2-inch round cake and cover it with pre-coloured red fondant. Cut out eyes, a nose, little feet and two antennae ears using coloured fondant.
- Add the two shades of buttercream to a piping bag fitted with a #1M open star tip. You can follow this method of filling a piping bag with multiple colours, or just spoon in alternating colours.
- Pipe classic buttercream swirls on the cupcakes.
- Arrange the caterpillar head and cupcakes on the prepared cake board. I use a tiny dollop of buttercream to stick down the cupcakes and the little fondant feet. If you are traveling with the cake, plan to arrange the caterpillar at the party location, if possible.
Perry the Party Caterpillar is my vegan version of my very hungry caterpillar cake. Emily ordered this little guy for her little cutie Hudson’s first birthday party! And the extra special part about Perry the caterpillar is… he’s vegan! Yes, 100% dairy and egg free! Dark chocolate cupcakes made up the body, vanilla “butter”cream for the frosting, and the head and mini cupcakes were vanilla cupcakes. Emily’s mom Wendy came to pick it up and just loved it when she saw it, yay! And I got a very sweet email from Emily a few days later with this super kind comment:
“I have to say I am very picky when it comes to cake/cupcakes. I am never really a big fan of cake so I figured that I wouldn’t eat much of it, which would have been a good thing! But your cake/cupcakes were simply the BEST I have ever had!…. “
So nice!! I had a blast making this guy, thank you Emily for the great order, and glad to hear Hudson had a ball at his 1st birthday bash and loved his vegan very hungry caterpillar cake!
And while I’m at it… thank you to all of you who have made this caterpillar cake and sent me pictures of your results and birthday parties… what fun it is to know that this crazy Coco Cake Land creation has been the inspiration for so many cute little kiddie’s parties. Brings joy to a caker’s heart!
(Here, you can learn more about the author/illustrator Eric Carle of the original book!)